As Banks continue to issue the old bank notes to their customers in Anambra State, the action has negatively reflect on business activities on Friday.
As reported by Daily Independent, traders in most of the markets in the state refused to open shops and those who opened refused to accept the old notes citing unavailability of the new naira notes as the cause.
Recall that the CBN had earlier warned customers to return the old bank notes in the N200 to N1000 denomination to the bank saying they would stop being legal tender from January 31, 2023.
Despite the CBN directive commercial banks in Anambra has continued to issue their customers with the old naira notes even as at yesterday.
This development has cast doubt in the minds of customers on the sincerity of the government and the banks on issuance of the new naira notes
Yesterday, markets in Anambra were scantily opened as some traders refused to open shops saying the non availability of the new naira notes was the cause.
“I don’t want to waste my money.Today is Friday , a week end. Okay tomorrow is Saturday next is Sunday. Then after that is Monday, a sit at home. When will I go to bank and collect the unavailable new naira notes? Queried Nnaeke, a shoe dealer in Nnewi.
SOUTH AFRICA – Police command in Limpopo, South Africa have sent a stern warning to the public to refrain from sharing a video in connection with the alleged rape and sexual grooming of a minor.
At the moment, police watchdog Ipid is investigating a police officer who was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting her 10-year-old son, EWN reports.
The 40-year-old woman, who is stationed at a local police station, was taken into custody last week Friday.
Police said that the woman allegedly recorded the ordeal on camera and the minor can be seen repeatedly refusing to cooperate.
Members of the public are urged not to share the video as it may constitute the production and distribution of child pornography.
In their exact statement, the police’s Motlafela Mojapelo said: “The police constable has been charged with the rape of a minor child, creating and circulating child pornographic material as well as grooming a child sexually. We are issuing a warning to anyone who may be in possession of such a video clip not to share because doing so constitutes a crime.”
Nairobi, Kenya – A man in Mwingi town, Kitui County, has reportedly took his life following the event of his wife abandoning him local media reports.
The man identified as Mr Joshua Tungu, a middle-aged boda boda operator died by suicide following a heated disagreement with his wife of three years.
As per Nairobi News report, Area residents said Mr Tungu took his life by hanging himself using a rope inside a rented house within the town. His body was discovered hanging from the roof top of the house by a neighbour.
“I was in my house when I heard a commotion in his house, when I tried to check what was happening I saw him hanging from the rooftop,” said Mr Maluki.
It is then that he made a decision to alert neighbours on what was transpiring.
The neighbour said he was disturbed by the sounds that were emanating from the house in which the deceased lived with the wife.
SOUTH AFRICA – Police have disclosed the arrest of four men (4) who allegedly kidnapped an Indian businessperson and they are due to appear in the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
Local media reported that the South African Police Service (SAPS) stressed that the victim was kidnapped shortly after touching down at the OR Tambo International Airport on 20 January.
Going by intelligence tips, the detectives cornered the suspected perpetrators in Fordsburg, Johannesburg on Tuesday 24 January, 2023.
Police spokesperson, Colonel Athlenda Mathe, said that preliminary investigations indicated that the syndicate, posing as a businessman, lured the victim to South Africa so as to carry out the ordeal.
“A multidisciplinary team consisting of various expertise within the SAPS was established. Four cellphones, including the one used to communicate with the family, were seized, as well as the victim’s watch and driver’s licence found in their possession.
Operatives of Delta State police command have combed various criminal hideouts in the state and arrested some suspects during the process.
Empathically, among the arrested were a suspected cultist, his sponsor, as well as bursting a four-man fraud syndicate. Fifteen different Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards were recovered from the fraudsters.
The spokesperson of Delta State Police Command, Mr Edafe Bright disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen, Daily Independent reports.
Mr Edafe said that sequel to the cult clashes in Sapele, Oghara, and some other parts of the State, “the Commissioner of Police Delta State CP Ari Muhammed Ali, deployed tactical teams to Sapele Local Government Area to restore sanity in the affected areas.
“Consequently, on January 23, 2023, at about 8 p.m., acting on credible intelligence on an alleged sponsor of Aro bagger cult group and also an active member of the group, a combined team of the Command Special Anti-Cult Unit (SACU), operatives of the Department of State Service (DSS) and men of Operation Delta Hawk, stormed a hotel while trailing the suspects and arrested one Chief Joseph Ologbo, 37years old of Otor Community in Sapele LGA, said to be a renowned suspected financer and member of Aro Bagger cult group.
“When the search was extended to his fully tinted Toyota Tundra Van, one unlicensed pump action gun, two live cartridges, one expended cartridge, and an Aro Bagger cult regalia were recovered,” he said, adding that the suspect had made the useful statement and would be charged to court upon completion of the investigation.
In another development, Edafe, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), said that on January 22, 2023, at about 8 a.m., operatives of Decoy Squad led by ASP Julius Robinson, while acting on credible intelligence on a syndicate, who specializes in defrauding unsuspecting victims of their hard-earned money, stormed Ogwashi-Uku town and arrested the following suspects; Allison Louis, a 27-year-old a native of Numan Local Government Area of Adamawa state, Sunday David, 22, a native of Otukpo, Benue state, Peter Akagbai, 20, from Umuokwe Quarters of Ogwashi-Uku and Chibuzor Elumeze, 23, from Ogbenta-Obi Quarters in Ogwashi-Uku.
The Police image maker said the exhibit recovered from the syndicate includes one tricycle and fifteen different bank ATM cards.
He added that during the course of the investigation, the suspects confessed to a series of frauds committed within Ogwashi-uku and Asaba metropolis with POS operators and filling stations as their major victims.
“The suspects stated that they go to filling stations, POS operators, and supermarkets, purchase items and also make withdrawals with their ATM cards and then call their banks and give a false complaint that the transaction was not successful.
Abuja, Nigeria – Seventy-seven (77) new Lassa fever cases and six-related deaths have been registered between January 9 and January 15, says the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC).
The agency, on Wednesday, said in a release that the new cases were recorded in 25 local government areas in nine states of the federation.
According to NAN report, the health body noted that 33 of the cases were recorded in Ondo State; 25 in Edo; six in Ebonyi; five in Bauchi; four in Benue and one each in Kogi, Imo, Oyo and Nasarawa State.
Two of the six deaths were each recorded in Edo and Ebonyi, while Bauchi and Imo recorded a death each.
The NCDC stated also that a total of 105 cases and seven deaths had been confirmed in 10 states of the federation.
“In Week Two (Jan. 9 to Jan. 15), the number of new confirmed cases increased from 30 in Week One, 2023 to 77 cases.
“Cumulatively from Week One to Week Two, 2023, seven deaths have been reported with a case fatality rate of 7.8 per cent, which is lower than the 11.5 per cent rate for the corresponding period in 2022.
“Avoid drying foodstuffs outside on the floor, roadside where they will be exposed to contamination; avoid bush burning which can lead to the displacement of rats from bushes to human dwellings,’’ it advised.
Abuja, Nigeria – One of the ways to boast economy is making more money from exportation and to this effect, Nigeria is expected to rake in substantial resources from cashew trading this year.
Mohammed Abubakar, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, says cashew nuts export from Nigeria generated over $250 million in 2022, and it is expected to fetch Nigerian farmers about $500 million in 2023.
This came to limelight when Mr Abubakar was making a statement during the Nigerian Cashew Day on Tuesday in Abuja, NAN reports.
“In Nigeria, cashew is increasing in importance as an export-oriented cash crop since the 1990s. It has become an important source of non-oil export earnings,” said the minister. “It is estimated to represent over 10 per cent GDP based on export data of 2022, and it is becoming a commercial crop in Nigeria and is cultivated in 27 states, including the FCT.”
The minister added that in the realisation of the importance of cashew, the federal government, through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, listed cashew as a priority crop.
”It is being promoted under the Import Substitution Strategy of the present administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari,” he said.
Mr Abubakar said the cashew value chain was among the crops being promoted under the value chain programme of the ministry.
“The ministry had carried out a number of activities over the years to promote the growth of the value chain in the country, including the distribution of improved seeds/seedlings to cashew farmers free of charge. Establishment of cashew cottage industries in some states, distribution of agrochemicals/growth enhancers, carbon-free jute bags and knapsack sprayers,” the agric minister explained.
Benin, Nigeria – The Edo State government-backed Edo Modular Refinery has begun production at its 6,000bpd plant in Ologbo, Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area.
The facility, with its feedstock is expected to produce 50 percent of diesel (500,000 litres), 25 percent of naphtha (300,000 litres), and 20 percent of Low Pour Fuel Oil (LPFO) (200,000) litres, Daily Independent reports.
The company got its first supply of 10,000 barrels of crude feedstock from Decklar Resources Inc. and its co-venturer, Millennium Oil & Gas Company Limited, which operates the Oza Oil Field.
The refinery was developed by Edo Refinery and Petrochemical Company Limited (ERPC) with support from the state government through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
In a statement, the company said it will complete the phase II of the project in March 2023, “which adds 12,000bpd capacity to cap production at 21,000bpd”.
Edo Modular Refinery is the first of two refinery projects in the state, alongside the Duport Refinery, which is operated by Duport Midstream Company Limited.
The two modular refineries were attracted into the state on the back of nuanced reforms by the Governor Godwin Obaseki-led administration to boost investment inflow and drive industrialisation in the state.
The delivery of 10,000 barrels of crude from Decklar and Millenium to Edo Refinery was conducted under the terms of the sales agreement of which an invoice has been issued and payment received.
The initial agreement provided for deliveries totaling 10,000bbls, and a new agreement is being negotiated for the delivery of an additional 30,000bbls.
According to report, the parties are also in discussions to potentially agree upon a monthly minimum quantity of barrels of Oza Oil Field crude to be sold to the refinery.
The report also quoted Decklar, a Canadian producer of Nigerian marginal oil fields, to have said, “Decklar and Millenium have received payment on the first invoice for delivered crude under the 10,000bbls sale agreement with Edo refinery.”
It noted it has also issued an invoice for delivery of the first 5,000bbls as part of the 30,000bbl sale agreement with the Edo Refinery with payment expected in approximately three weeks.
“With continued production and delivery of crude oil it is expected that regular billing and receipts of sales proceeds will occur”, Decklar said.
According to Decklar, trucking of oil from the Oza Field is ongoing to the Edo refinery facility in Edo State, Nigeria.
“Ten trucks are currently in operation and are capable of delivering approximately 2,500bbls every four days. Additional trucks are expected to be contracted over the next few weeks to increase delivery capacity”, Decklar said.
Unknown gunmen have abducted a medical doctor working for the World Health Organization (WHO), in eastern Mali the UN agency said in a statement.
Mahamadou Diawara, a medical official leading efforts to provide health care to remote communities facing insecurity risks and violence was reportedly forced away by some armed men.
On Monday, Mr Diawara was taken from his car in the town of Menaka, located in an eastern region where militant groups linked to Al Qaeda and Daesh are active. His driver, now receiving medical care, was also brutalised but was left at the scene.
While the motive of the abduction is unknown, the WHO condemned his abduction and called for his immediate release.
Diawara was sent to Menaka at the start of 2020. He has since then been leading efforts to provide medical care to remote communities at risk of violence.
However, WHO has extended sympathies to his family; “our sympathies to the family of Dr Diawara and is working with local authorities to investigate the abduction and ensure our colleague’s quick return to his family.”